Where is Ulistac?
4901 Lick Mill Blvd, Santa Clara, CA 95054 (NOT a mailing address)
Ulistac is located in North Santa Clara, a mile from Levi's Stadium. Ulistac can be accessed by car, on foot or by bike, and from the VTA light rail. Google Maps does recognise the name 'Ulistac' if you type it in the search bar. There are 2 main street entrances for Ulistac, one towards the north end (nearer Tasman), and one towards the south end (nearer Hope Dr).
- By Car: Ulistac is situated on Lick Mill Blvd which runs between Montague Expy and Tasman Drive. From Montague, turn onto Lick Mill and Ulistac will be on your right after approximately 1 mile. From Tasman, Ulistac is on your left almost immediately. The south entrance will be on your left after 0.6 miles.
- On Foot and By Bike: Ulistac can be accessed either from Lick Mill Blvd, or from the Guadalupe River Trail (western side). Unfortunately we have no bike racks at Ulistac, however there are plenty of fences to chain your bike to if you wish to leave it secured while you take a walk.
- Using VTA Light Rail: Ulistac's north entrance on Lick Mill is only 7 minutes walk from the Lick Mill light rail station (Mtn View-Winchester line). Ulistac can also be accessed from River Oaks Station (Alum Rock-Santa Teresa line), via the river trail, with a 20 minute walk. Timetables for both rail services can be found on the VTA website.
Ulistac, as with all City Parks, is open from sunrise until one-half hour after sunset every day. There is no fee to enter Ulistac.
Parking and Facilities
There is plentiful street parking available on Lick Mill Blvd, right outside Ulistac. There is no charge for parking. If you would prefer to park in a parking lot, there are some spaces available at Lick Mill Park, directly across the street from Ulistac.
Please be aware that there are parking restrictions on Lick Mill Blvd on stadium event days. This means that there is NO PARKING (tow away zone) anywhere on Lick Mill between Hope Drive and Tasman on days when Levi's Stadium is in use. We strongly recommend that you check the Levi's event calendar before arranging a visit to Ulistac.
Ulistac is dedicated as a Natural Area, not a park. This means that we have no facilities, such as restrooms, drinking water, benches, picnic areas, play parks or sports areas. All of these listed facilities can be found directly across the street in Lick Mill Park.
All irrigation at Ulistac uses recycled water from the San Jose/Santa Clara Water Pollution Control Plant. Please do not drink any of the irrigation water at Ulistac.
Although we do not have any of the facilities of a traditional City Park, there are a lot of things you can do at Ulistac:
- Walking - There is almost a mile of flat, crushed granite trails to enjoy at Ulistac, and access to the Guadalupe River trail for those who want a longer walk. There is a good mix of sun and shade, and we have placed some large cut logs next to the trails so that there is a place to rest for those who want it.
- Running - Do laps of the trails to increase your mileage, or run through Ulistac on your way to the river trail.
- Birding - There have been over 150 different species of birds spotted at Ulistac! It is a very popular place to visit, for both birds and birders, during the spring and fall migration. We have been named on eBird as a 'birding hotspot' and a list of birds spotted at Ulistac can be found on their website.
- Enjoying Nature - Listen to the birdsong, or the wind in the trees. Smell the sages, or the earth after rain. Look for insects and animals. Enjoy witnessing the different stages of the Monarch Butterfly. There is plenty of nature to be had at Ulistac!
- Educating - People young and old can learn at Ulistac! There are interpretive boards placed around the site, and our volunteers are friendly and happy to try to answer your questions. We are happy for groups to visit, either on an organized tour with one of our leaders, or on your own.
- Cycling - A good place for little ones to learn to ride their bikes! If you are cycling at Ulistac, please keep your speed down and be aware of people walking. Stopping distances on the granite trails is much greater than on pavement.
- Art - Bring your camera to take photographs, set up your easel to paint or draw, or just get inspiration for later projects! We would love to see any of your Ulistac related art work, email us a picture or post it on our Facebook page and please let us know whether you are happy for us to share your picture.
- Dog Walking - We love to see dogs enjoying Ulistac with their humans! It is City park rules that all dogs MUST be kept on a 6ft leash at all times within Ulistac. We have ground dwelling birds and animals at Ulistac who also appreciate your dogs being kept on a leash. Please be aware that there is foxtail grass at Ulistac, and this can cause a problem for dogs.
- Volunteering - We are always looking for volunteers at Ulistac! Please see our volunteer pages for more information.
The City of Santa Clara have the following rules and regulations in place for Ulistac:
- Dogs MUST be on a 6-foot leash at all times. Please pick up after your dog.
- Picknicking is not allowed in Ulistac, but picnic facilities are available across the street at Lick Mill Park.
- Fires - No fires are allowed at ANY time.
- Alcohol is not permitted within the preserve.
- Swimming or wading in the Guadalupe River is Prohibited.
- Fishing and hunting are not permitted at Ulistac Natural Area. It is a protected area.
- Weapons including firearms, air guns, paintball guns and archery equipment are prohibited.
- Garbage should be placed in trash receptacles (at both entrances). Please keep our preserve clean.
- Plants and Wildlife should be left as they are found. Collection of plant specimens and feeding of birds or animals is not permitted.
- Accessibility and restrooms - Trails in Ulistac and restroom facilities at Lick Mill Park (across the street) are accessible to the physically disabled.
- Motorcycles are not permitted.
- No overnight camping